Education & Research
B. A. Hons. (1st position), M.A (1st position) in Islamic History & Culture, Post- graduate Diploma in Persian Language (Dhaka University); Ph.D in History (Aligarh); Fulbright Scholar (Boston College, USA); British Council Visiting Scholar (University of Birmingham, UK)
42 (forty two) research articles published in referred journals and edited books
(1) Muslim Itihastattwa (Muslim Historiography), Dhaka University, Dhaka, 2008
(2) Society and Urbanization in Medieval Bengal, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, 2009
(3) (editor) Liberation War of Bangladesh : Background and Event, Bangladesh
Itihash Parishad, 2009
(4) A Quest for Islamic Learning: Essays in Memory of Professor Serajul Haque (edited), Asiatic Soci1ety of Bangladesh, 2011
(5) Probandha Sankolon (An Anthology), Department of Islamic History & Culture, University of Dhaka, 2011
Joined as lecturer in Department of Islamic History & Culture, University of Dhaka (1990); Professor (2004);Vice Chancellor(September 06, 2017-); Pro-Vice Chancellor (June 2016 - September 05, 2017 ); Dean, Faculty of Arts (2014-2016); Provost, Kabi Jasimuddin Hall (2007-2013); Chairman, Department of Islamic History & Culture (2008-2011); Chairman, Department of Arabic (2015-2016); General Secretary (2004, 2005 & 2006) and Vice President (2009, 2011) of the Dhaka University Teachers’ Association; Elected member for different period in the Dhaka University Senate, Syndicate & Academic Council; Nominated member in several public and private University Senate, Syndicate & Academic Council for different tenure; Convenor, Textbook Crisis Resolution National Committee (2008), Convenor, Textbook Printing and Distribution Oversee and Advisory Committee (2009 & 2010); Member, Prime Minister’s Education Assistance Trust (2012 - ); Member, National Education Policy 2010 Implementation Committee; Member, National Curriculum Coordination Committee (NCCC); Editorial Member, Journal of Serajul Haque Centre for Islamic Research and the Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh (Humanities); Editor, Bangladesh Itihas Parishad Journal Itihas (2009-2014); Council Member (2006-2009), Asiatic Society of Bangladesh; General Secretary (2005-2009) and Vice President (2016- ) , Bangladesh Itihas Parishad; General Secretary, Aligarh Old Boys’ Association of Bangladesh (2007-2009); Editor, Islam and Moral Learning (textbook for classes VI-X); Moderator, Introduction to Bangladesh and the World (text book for Classes ix–x); President, Bangladesh College-University Teachers’ Association (2014- ); Presidium-member, Bangladesh Peshajibi Somonnoy Parishad (2013- ); Presidium-member, Bangladesh-Russia Moitry Samity (2017- ). Besides, associated with different professional and socio-cultural bodies like Bangla Academy, Bangladesh Association for American Studies, Bangladesh Association for Fulbright Scholars, Indian History Congress and so on.
Appointment of the Vice-Chancellor :
11. (1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Chancellor for a period of four years from a panel of three persons to be nominated by the Senate on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Chancellor, and shall be eligible for re-appointment for a further period of four years.
(2) Where are temporary vacancy in the office of the Vice-Chancellor occurs by reason of leave, illness, resignation or any other cause, the Chancellor shall make such arrangement for carrying on duties of the office of the Vice-Chancellor as he may think fit.
Power and duties of the Vice-Chancellor:
12. (1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be whole time principal executive and academic officer of the University and shall be Chairman of the Senate, the Syndicate and the Academic Council. He shall be entitled to be present and to speak at any meeting of any authority but, shall not be entitled to vote thereat unless he is a member of the authority concerned.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor shall convene meetings of the Senate, the Syndicate and the Academic Council and shall preside over them.
(3) Notwithstanding any provision contained in this Order or in any law for the time being in force, the Vice-Chancellor may, in any emergency which, in his opinion, required immediate action, take such action as he deems necessary, and shall within seven days thereafter report his action to the officer or authority who or which, in the ordinary course, would have dealt with the matter.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall, if he does not agree with the resolution of any authority of the University, have the power to withhold implementation of the resolution and refer it back to the authority concerned, with his opinion thereon, for reconsideration in its next regular meeting. If in the process of reconsideration the authority concerned does not agree with the Vice-Chancellor, the decision of the Syndicate shall be final.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall give effect to the orders of the Syndicate regarding the appointment, dismissal and suspension of the officers and teachers of the University, and shall exercise general control over the members of the University, and shall be responsible for the discipline of the University in accordance with this Order, the Statutes and University Ordinances.
(6) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the power to appoint on a purely temporary basis, ordinarily for a period of not more than six months, officers (excepting the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and the Treasurer), teachers and administrative and subordinate staff and report such action to the Syndicate:
Provided that, if a temporary appointment cannot be regularized within the period for which it was made, such period may be extended, with the prior approval of the Syndicate, for a further period of three months on the expiry of which the temporary appointment shall stand terminated.
(7) The Vice-Chancellor may, with the approval of the Syndicate, delegate such of his powers and functions as he may consider necessary to such officer of the University as he may deem fit.
(8) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes and the University Ordinances.