The Department of Philosophy was established in 1921. The first Head of the Department was Dr.George H. Langley, who later became the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dhaka in 1926. Included among distinguished faculty were Mr.Haridas Bhattacharyya called Darshan Sagar and Dr. Govinda Chandra Dev.
The department offers a four-year B.A. (Honours)and one-year M.A. course. A two-year M.Phil. programme and three year Ph.D. programme are also offered.
The Dev Centre for Philosophical Studies was established in the department in 1980. The Centre regularly publishes a Bengali journal called Darshan O Progati and an English journal entitled Philosophy and Progress. The departmental library and seminar facilities are available to students.